Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Sunday morning chat


This morning, the parents took the twins to Sunday School. I stayed home on religious grounds. I claimed I was a Buddhist. I wasn't, but Junjie was. It didn't matter. They took advantage of me. You grasp hold of whatever advantages you can. Junjie taught me that.

Malik was good with the kids anyway. So it didn't matter too much if I wasn't there. Not that the parents weren't capable of dealing with them. They just didn't like the bother.

I had a feeling Brook would be done about now so I walked over to the Holder estate. I saw him through the solarium window as I approached. He was just getting out of his chair. I stayed out of sight. I don't think he cared for me. I waited until he'd left before I approached the solarium. Brooke signaled me to enter as she unlatched the solarium door before carrying the breakfast tray to the kitchen. She smiled as she served me coffee. But then I began to notice she had the wrinkle in her eyebrow and that frown she gets at the corners of her mouth. “Did he do it again?” I asked.
“Last night, she said. And then he threatened to fire me.”
“He threatens you lot doesn’t he?”
“Almost constantly. I guess it's part of the job. How are you doing?”
“Oh, I started writing something new."
“Another novel?”
“No. This is something new. It’s about economics and neuropsychology, I guess.”
“You don’t know?”
“No, my muse says she’ll explain it as we go.”
“Your muse?”
“That’s what she calls herself.”
“Weird.”
“Even weirder, I saw her in broad daylight the other day. And for once, I wasn't half asleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. You can also email me directly at vodiedlaff@gmail.com