Saturday, August 25, 2018

Go forth and propagate


All last year whenever anyone asked what I was writing I said it was a propaganda piece. Lately I’ve been trying to begin a first novel and it’s not quite coming together, but if you ask me what I’m writing, I’d still have to say it’s a propaganda piece.

I don’t seem to be making it as a writer, despite all the classes I took and loans I took out. But I keep writing instead of looking to upgrade my skills to something more lucretive. I’ve been trying to figure out why, and I guess George Orwell said it best. He said that “... every novelist, has a ‘message’, whether he admits it or not, and the minutest details of his work are influenced by it. All art is propaganda. Neither Dickens himself nor the majority of Victorian novelists would have thought of denying this.” So I guess my job is to go forth and propagate. Funny, I never thought of myself as a propagandist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. You can also email me directly at vodiedlaff@gmail.com